9 November 2017

Cheese and onion pie


We've had a couple of chilly days here in Copenhagen this week. It hasn't been raining, so I'm quite happy with the dry yet chilly weather. The ground was frosty one morning, and that gave me a nice boost while walking to the train station at 7 am. I have about 15 minutes' walk to my train station with a lovely lake scenery and loads of sea birds, and that walk always wakes me up. Then a 30 minute train ride to work follows, which I spend by reading the news online and doing some Danish language exercises with an app. This all of course has nothing to do with the dish that I was going to share with you today, but sometimes it's nice to give little peeks to my everyday life.

Now to the warming dish. What would this season be without a hearty cheese and onion pie? Nothing, I tell you! I have made this classic again, and it's basically the same one as in this post, but of course it always varies a bit. This time I covered the pie with a crispy griddle of pastry, and it was very nice. I saw the pie recipe once in Simon Hopkinson's cooking programme on the BBC and have been making it ever since in a slight variation. You can find his recipe here.

I'm so glad that it's Friday tomorrow, as this week has been so busy. I have no plans either, so it will be nice just to relax. What are your weekend plans?


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I don't think I have ever had a cheese and onion pie. I'm a horrible baker but I bet a version version would be tempting to me...hum...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a baker, but savoury pies are too tasty to pass! I've made my own pastry sometimes, but it's just too easy and convenient with a ready made one. I hope you like it, if you decide to try!

      Delete
  2. Love your peek into your start of day - I tend to ride to work if I can summon the energy and love it for thinking time about things like what to cook for dinner - 15 minutes walk sounds good for thinking time too. And your pie looks beautiful. I tend to do a cheese and onion pastie but not a large pie - must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think a lot when walking, and yes, also my cooking plans. Smaller pasties are also very nice, but sometimes this sort of pies feel like they are less work than crafting individual pasties.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.