27 July 2017

Seitan sandwiches


How is everyone? It's quaint summer weather here in Denmark: it's quite warm in general, but often cloudy and rainy too. For example this morning 7:30 am was so hot and sunny, and in the afternoon by 2 pm we were in an extremely dark thick cloud and the rain started. There were no heatwaves or anything like that here yet, but I've been quite happy about the generally surrounding warmth. That's better than nothing.

My partner will join me here this weekend, so we can properly start our new life in Denmark. I very much enjoyed my initial familiarising period with the city on my own, but it's going to be even better now with someone to share. I can't wait to show him some of the places I've already detected. I will also soon get my own computer and cooking stuff here, which should improve the quality of life (and probably also this blog). However I'm not looking forward to all the unpacking.

Now to the sandwiches that I recently made, and that this post is actually about. I'm so happy that some of my nearby shops sell seitan products. I found that stuff so hard to come by in Britain (unless you would make it yourself), and now I can get it from normal small supermarkets! Only sky is the limit now with my seitan cooking.

If you're not familiar with seitan yet, it's wheat gluten that has a chewy texture and can be used in cooking in a versatile way. The flavour is mild, so it needs a bit of spice whatever it's served with.

These thin seitan slices were very handy to use and tasty for making such sandwiches. It was perfect quick weekday grub. To make these sandwiches, I took some seedy wholemeal buns and stuffed them with pan fried seitan pieces, fried onions, grated carrot, tomatoes, lettuce and chilli mayo. But I think that you can use basically any vegetables that you have available, and they would be tasty.




Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. lots of change for you - good luck with unpacking your boxes and enjoy spending time with your partner - your seitan looks like veg sausages which I know is easy to get in the uk but I am now unsure if we have seitan for sale much - I think it is not so hard to find but as I don't eat it I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! Yes you're right, those strips were quite similar to some of the veggies sausages available. I've just never cut them in this fashion, which could be a good idea anyway. I'm very much looking forward to the weekend, as I just heard that the boxes will arrive on Monday, so I don't have to feel guilty not working on them. Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  2. I have made seitan a few times, I generally prefer it in stir fries I small pieces. A local vegan restaurant uses it to make vegan "ribs" with barbecue sauce but I am not a fan, far too rubbery for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A seitan stir fry is a very good idea, maybe that's my next dish! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. We only tried 'mock duck' once. A bit of a weird texture. Your sarnies make it worth trying again...
    Enjoy your last weekend as a tourist đŸ˜„ From Monday you're a proper resident :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too fond of those mock duck kind of things either, seems a bit odd, but this was good. Haha, yes the proper life starts now! :)

      Delete
  4. That does look good and we will be having veggie burgers later.

    I make seitan quite a bit, when the mood takes me. You are right it is hard to find in the UK, even the flour to make seitan from scratch was hard up until a few years ago.

    Enjoy unpacking and starting a new life with your partner in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make my own as well, although it's now more unlikely, as I can get it so easily. I already have a new packet in my fridge.
      Now to cleaning and welcome party preparation:)
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.