15 October 2016

Thai flavoured harlequin squash and lentil soup


Yay, the soup season is upon us! And also the squash and pumpkin season, it's so perfect! I am planning to cook many vegan squash soups before the autumn and winter are over. I often like giving soups Thai flavouring, as in my opinion it makes them even more warming and comforting. That is exactly what I did with this soup. I combined harlequin squash, carrots and red lentils and added some Thai flavours to them. I served the soup with rustic homemade seedy spelt rolls.


Ingredients

1 small or ½ larger harlequin squash
2 carrots
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
2 cm fresh ginger
1 small chilli
Olive oil
500 ml vegetable stock
½ cup red lentils
1 bay leaf
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
3-5 tbsp soya sauce
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
160 ml coconut cream
Handful fresh coriander


Method

Cut the squash and carrots into pieces and chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli finely. First cook the onion in olive oil until soft and then add the garlic, ginger and chilli. After a moment, add the squash and carrot pieces and cook for a few minutes.

Then add the vegetable stock, red lentil, bay leaf and season. Let the soup simmer.

Once the flavours have blended nicely and the squash, carrots and lentils are cooked, add the coconut cream and fresh coriander. Let cook some more, purée and serve warm.




I want to share this recipe with this month's No croutons required vegetarian soup and salad cooking challenge. The challenge is hosted this month by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen and co-hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.


Have a pleasant Saturday evening!

Your VegHog

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that sounds comforting indeed. I've been enjoying squash, particularly pumpkin. And as for Thai flavors, you can never go wrong. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR. I'm a bit late with the roundup, but I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.