27 November 2014

Stuffed marrow

I have been very busy lately and haven't really been able to cook any nice dishes. Nevertheless I thought I could share this stuffed marrow recipe with you, as I didn't want to leave you hanging for too long. I promise to improve my ways for the Christmas season, which is soon enough upon us!

I do admit that on the photos this dish does not look appealing at all, but I can assure you that these stuffed marrow halves were very succulent and tasty. It was a very filling dish as well due to the pearled spelt addition.

Here's my stuffed marrow recipe, if you would like to give it a go.

Ingredients


1 marrow
1 bell pepper
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
4 tomatoes
3 spring onions
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup pearled spelt
½ cup vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
½ tsp ground black pepper
250 g halloumi
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Method

Cut the marrow in half and remove the insides by shaping two boats, but also save the insides. Cook the marrow halves in hot olive oil, just that they get a small glaze around the surface. You can leave them in the oven at 150 C while you make the other preparations.

Chop the bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and spring onions finely. Start cooking the onion and pepper in the olive oil, and then add the tomatoes, garlic, marrow insides and spring onions. After these have been cooked for a few minutes, add the spelt and the vegetable stock.

Let simmer until the liquid has mostly absorbed and the spelt is cooked. Leave the filling a little bit moist so that it doesn't dry out in the oven. You can add little water before the baking if needed.

Stuff the marrow halves with the filling and bake covered in foil at 180C for about 40 minutes. You can remove the foil for 5-10 minutes before the end, if you think that the top needs some colour.

Fry the halloumi slices in the vegetable oil and place the fried slices on top of the marrows.

All done and ready to be enjoyed!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I don't eat marrow as much as I should, but stuffing it is one way I do enjoy eating it. I had grown some and enjoyed it last month, the pearled spelt is interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your marrow recipes were great, but I just chose the easy option since I haven't had much time for cooking lately.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.