12 February 2014

Crown prince pies


I have mentioned before that crown prince squash is fast becoming my favourite squash. Therefore I just have to share this pie recipe with you, that mainly consists of a proud crown prince.

In British pubs I often see pies served with this high puff pastry lid, and that has made me curious enough to try to make my own recipe for a vegetarian pie of this sort. It's not difficult, just read my instructions below.

 
1 medium crown prince squash
3 tbsp olive oil (for roasting and frying)
4 shallots
4 garlic cloves
3 tbsp fresh sage leaves
150 g Red Leicester cheese
1 dl dry cider
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
320 g puff pastry




Chop the shallots and garlic and peel and dice the crown prince squash. Place the squash dices in an oven dish and brush them with some olive oil. Roast the squash at 180C for about 20 minutes.

Heat some olive oil in a pan and sweat the shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes. Then add the roasted squash and the cider (I used once again Wyld Wood organic cider). 


Season with sage, vegetable stock powder, pepper and salt and let cook for a while so that the flavours can blend. Stir the grated cheese into the mixture.


Put the squash mixture into small ramekins and place round pieces (slightly larger than the ramekin's diameter) of thinly rolled puff pastry on the top and press it firmly along the edges.

Bake the pies at 180C for about 30 minutes until the puff pastry has risen and is golden brown.



Serve warm with a fresh salad and enjoy!

Stay hungry! ~ Your VegHog
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.