13 June 2013

Wheat flour tortillas

Today I'm making wheat flour tortillas, which will make a lovely base for this week's Mexican themed meal. Earlier this week I've already made salsa, guacamole and refried beans and now it's tortilla's turn.

It's easy to buy tortillas but it's almost as easy to make them. The dough is quite basic and the frying itself is a dream!

Ingredients

This recipe makes about 6 tortillas.

400g wheat flour
2tsp baking powder
175ml water
2tbsp soft butter
Pinch of salt

Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the soft butter or margarine and pinch it among the dough. Then add the water and knead it all to a firm and even dough.

Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes. Then roll it out thinly with a rolling pin to frying pan sized tortillas.

Fry them in a dry pan (no added oil) at moderate heat until brown spots appear on the surface. Turn them over in order to fry the other side and they're done.



These can be combined with a whole range of vegetables but tomorrow my combination shall be revealed and my Mexican experiments will then come to an end until the next time.

Your VegHog


4 comments:

  1. When mixing the ingredients to get a better texture, do you prefer using an electric mixer or do you do it by spoon?

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry, I didn't put my reply as a reply, so it's below.

      Delete
  2. I don't own a really good mixer at the moment, so in this case I first mixed with spoon and then kneaded by hand. I'd love to buy a good food processor one day though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.